IDLO and the Procurement Administrative Review Board, (PPARB), seek to recruit two embedded legal researchers to provide technical assistance to the PPARB.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision and direction of the Board Secretary/CEO of PPARB, and in consultation with the IDLO Kenya team – the legal researchers will:
- Undertake research on points of law as instructed relating to the mandate given to PPARB by the Constitution, Act, Regulations and other public procurement and asset disposal laws.
- Investigate facts of cases and ensure all relevant information pertinent to assigned cases is provided for consideration;
- Research, identify appropriate laws, judicial decisions, legal articles and other materials that are relevant to assigned cases;
- Monitor and report compliance with summons, orders and decisions made by the Board;
- Compile statistical analyses of cases handled and activities undertaken by the Board;
- Make sure the Board members are fully prepared for closings, hearings, trials and Board’s meetings;
- Where so instructed, provide support in mediating or arbitrating disputes and in appeals’ hearings.
- Prepare written legal opinions on ongoing cases that the members of the Board can make reference to in development of their decisions;
- Oversee the organization of files of cases to make them accessible to presiding Chair/Members of the Board;
- Coordinate and facilitate the retrieval of trial records;
- Organize, draft, coordinate and compile documents relating to the various programmes/meetings /workshops/conferences of the PPARB’s mandate, project and expert group reports, and taking detailed notes at meetings and conference.
- Write relevant and periodic reports from information acquired in various workshops;
- Where so requested, develop media briefs for the Board Secretary/CEO and Board members on the legal aspects of the work of the PPARB.
- Assist the Secretary to liaise with the Attorney General’s office on judicial review matters by preparing pleadings, replying affidavits and instructions.
- Monitor progress and status of judicial review cases at the Court and compile statistical and legal analyses of judgements rendered thereof and advise the Board on the same.
- Any other relevant duty or responsibility assigned by the Board Secretary/CEO, PPARB.
The Legal Researcher shall deliver the following outputs:
- A brief Inception Report within two (2) weeks of start date detailing the understanding of the terms of reference and a proposed plan of action, with a work plan indicating clear milestones and timelines.
- Brief weekly updates to the PPARB on work completed and status update of work underway.
- Research products in fulfilment of the duties and responsibilities above – via methodology to be agreed upon by PPARB and IDLO.
- Quarterly progress reports on the assigned duties to be prepared and submitted to the PPARB and IDLO.
- Any other deliverable deemed necessary in order to successfully complete the assignment.
- A brief final report detailing the process, with feedback, research, achievements, etc., captured. Also, to include brief section on impact of the support to the PPARB as from the perspective of the expert.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The Legal Researchers should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LL.B) from a recognized university, at a minimum. Possession of additional post-graduate qualifications in law, research, political science, communications or related fields will be an added advantage.
- At least three years’ experience ideally in legal research and reporting with demonstrable ability to undertake research and provide sound legal opinions/advice (orally and in writing) on highly technical legal matters;
- Demonstrable excellent knowledge of, and experience with, constitutional provisions and laws dealing with procurement and asset disposal regulation and access to justice in Kenya.
- Strong legal research, IT and analytical skills and a good attitude to learning and working in a busy public service environment;
- Flexible and resourceful individual who has the ability to effectively juggle multiple concurrent assignments;
- Ability to work independently, manage time effectively, prioritize tasks and work within deadlines and targets
- Excellent communication skills including written and oral fluency in English and Kiswahili
- Strong interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Well-developed team membership skills including maintaining positive attitude
- High levels of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications which should include the following:
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter highlighting relevant experience and motivation for taking up the position
- Two (2) professional referees along with their contact details
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the staff member assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
To view further details and apply for the job, kindly click here.